Monday, November 12, 2007

Thanks Brooke for putting this together. Here is the sweet potato recipe. I won't even give you the pie one - it was a disaster. :)

Mashed Sweet Potatoes with Brown Sugar and Pecans

1 cup (packed) brown sugar
1/2 cup chopped pecans (about 2 ounces) (I usually double that amount)
1/4 cup chilled butter, cut into 1/4 inch pieces

5 pounds red skinned sweet potatoes or yams, peeled and cut into pieces

4 large eggs
3 tablespoons pure maple syrup (I use the fake stuff in a pinch)
3 tablespoons vanilla extract
1 tablespoon lemon juice (fresh is better)
2 teaspoons salt

Mix sugar, pecans, and butter in bowl until mixture resembles fine crumbs. Cover and put in fridge.

Butter a 13X9X2 inch glass baking dish. Cook sweet potatoes in large pot of boiling water until tender (about 15 minutes. Let drain and stand for about 15 minutes more to sweat off the extra water. Puree sweet potatoes until mashed. (I add a little butter and milk or cream here - like for mashed potatoes)

Beat eggs, syrup, vanilla, lemon juice and salt in large bowl. Mix in pureed potatoes. Transfer mixture to baking dish and sprinkle pecan topping evenly on top.

Bake in 350 degree oven until sweet potato mixture is set and topping bubbles, about 1 hour. Let stand 15 minutes before serving.

No comments: